The Supper Club provides an evening meal five days a week for anyone in the community. This program, which started to build neighbor-to-neighbor connections, was adapted due to the Covid-19 pandemic, shifting from a sit-down meal to a pre-packaged “to-go” style meal served outside.
Location and Hours
- Located at 1548 8th Street, Des Moines, IA 50311 (Outside the Trinity United Methodist Church building on the corner of 8th & College).
- Service is from 4:00-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Five days a week, 52 weeks a year.
- Closed for the following Holidays: Christmas, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day. If Des Moines Public Schools are closed due to weather, there will be no Supper Club.
- Group arrives with meal: 3:30 p.m. It will take 3-5 volunteers to set-up, serve and clean-up depending on the number of items to serve.
- Volunteers sign in: Provide information requested on volunteer sign-in sheet, and make yourself a name tag. (The sign-in information is important for grant reporting to secure funds to sustain CFUM programs.) Finally wash hands where directed to wash and put on gloves.
- Supper Club opens: 4:00 p.m. (Supper Club is currently serving only to-go meals)
- Serving begins: 4:00 p.m. Supper Club staff person will give directions about process
- Serving ends, leftovers sent home (if available): 5:00 p.m.
- Clean-up ends (your group is vital to accomplishing this task): Clean-up involves storing leftover food properly, wiping tables and chairs, cleaning counters, gathering pans and dishes to take home.
Meal Request and Expectations
CFUM Supper Club guest surveys show our guests have documented health issues which can improved with a well-balanced diet. Fruits, vegetables, and desserts are important considerations while planning your menu along with serving sizes. Surveys also express a great appreciation for the quality and hospitality of meals served.
We ask your group to provide a healthy menu of your choice using this guideline:
- 1 main dish – protein source
- 1 or more side dishes – vegetables and fruits
- 1 starch or carbohydrate
- Optional – Dessert
- Main Dishes
- Beef, pork, chicken – Barbeque, enchiladas, stir-fry, casseroles, or meatloaf
- Tuna or other fish, hot or in salads
- Hot or Cold Sandwiches
- Beans and rice
- Stews or Chili or hearty soups
- Side Dishes
- Green Salad, Slaws, Cut up veggies
- Frozen or canned vegetables
- Fresh fruit
- Canned fruit, applesauce
- Fresh fruit
- Frozen fruit bars
- Canned fruit
- Fruit cobbler
- Pudding, Tapioca, Rice Pudding
- Yogurt or Frozen Yogurt
- Pie, Cake with or without icing
Paper products, silverware, beverages of coffee, tea, juice, and if possible, milk.
CFUM appreciates if your group is able to bring milk and/or juice because it is difficult to keep enough on hand.