Enrollment in The Haven After-School Academic Enrichment Program is open on a continuous basis. The Haven is a quality after school program for children in grades K-5 that offers literacy enrichment and S.T.E.A.M. activities along with recreation and extracurricular activities. The programming at Haven contains vital components that supplement the teaching and learning in school. Academic time occurs in the schedule four out of five days of the school week and recreational time occurs when the academic time is completed. Clubs for enrichment activities are facilitated by volunteers and staff and throughout the year there are special recreational/community service opportunities.
About the Program
The Haven is a daily after school program that:
- enhances academic skills learned throughout the school day;
- develops 21st Century skills (critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, communication, leadership and social skills);
- addresses behaviors through HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired);
- provides learning experiences that meet kids where they are while also preparing them for the future;
- incorporates tools to provide growth in social emotional learning.
The goals of Haven are to:
- Provide a safety net for working families and children after school with programming that mitigates the effects of stresses of poverty.
- Provide a safe, nurturing, engaging after school program for student’s grades K-5 to promote educational success, healthy lifestyles, and engagement in the community.
- Advance the understanding of literacy skills beyond success in the classroom to success in relationships, careers, and community.
- Ensure successful transition to middle school by students involved in the program
The Haven goals are met through literacy enrichment, S.T.E.A.M. activities, recreation and extracurricular activities, club participation and project-based learning opportunities for kids K-5th grade.
Programming is offered from 2:40 – 5:30 PM Monday – Friday. Families can depend on consistent care and supervision while their children are supported in academic and extracurricular pursuits. This comprehensive approach is improving classroom performance and introducing new worlds and activities to the children we serve.